Saturday, October 28, 2017

Ellis Health Update - 171028


I did another one-mile walk on Saturday, 21 October. I then rested up on Sunday in preparation for Monday's tiring trip to Houston. I think I will be able to navigate the airport without assistance on this trip. I will have only my laptop computer, medications, a book and a few other light items in my carry-on bag.

Rosemary reminded me last night that there are possible side effects associated with taking Acetaminophen for an extended period of time and the single Tramadol pill I have been taking contains an opioid, so I decided to do a test run to see what my pain level might be without taking either. It is now almost noon the next day, Saturday and I have not taken any pain medication since a Tramadol at 2000 yesterday. So far my pain level has not increased significantly, to about level 4 at most and that only sporadically and associated with certain movements or body positions. For the most part I am unaware of any pain at all.

We traveled to Houston on 23 October. The shuttle trip to Phoenix was difficult. The shuttle's shock absorbers were long since worn out and we felt every bump in the road. The Ace Express shuttle is convenient in that they will pick you up and deliver you to your door; however, some of their vans are in pretty bad shape when it comes to comfort. They apparently do give adequate attention to repairs necessary to keeping vehicles running but comfort is not on their check list.

As already noted I planned to make the trip without resorting to the use of a wheelchair in the airport. I did manage to get through the Phoenix Airport without assistance; however, that was my limit: we asked for a wheelchair on arrival at Hobby Airport in Houston.

I saw Doctor Sugarbaker on 24 October. My visits to Doctor Sugarbaker are always preceded by an X-ray and a blood test. After being called to the examining room I undergo breathing tests administered by the nurse along with a six-minute walk, including a climb up and down a staircase, during which time my oxygen level is monitored and recorded. The PA who works with the doctor then examines me and gathers the X-ray reports, blood test results and other tests performed and reviews them with the doctor.

While this is taking place I am usually visited by the chaplain, the social worker and the dietitian. We have used the services of all of these individuals and found them to be very helpful. Teri, the social worker, provided guidance when we needed a place to stay and when we needed to purchase a walker for my release from the hospital; Cheryl, the Dietitian, spent a lot of time making sure we understood the options for making sure my special dietary requirements for a speedy recovery were met; Tony, the chaplain, patiently listened to our myriad complaints about such things as the tiring trip, the weather and other frustrations before offering sympathy and a word of cheer.

By the time Doctor Sugarbaker arrived for the 24 October appointment, all test results had been collected and reviewed so his questions and comments were brief and to the point. Basically, things still look good. My recovery from surgery is better than expected. When I remarked that my daily one-mile walk left me exhausted, I was told that a one-mile walk was more than had been expected at this point.

The bottom line is that I am to return to the clinic for a CAT Scan, more blood work and another visit with Doctor Sugarbaker on 9 January. Eventually he will discuss my progress with Doctor Lindquist, the Arizona Oncologist, and decide on additional chemotherapy to be performed in Arizona, likely four or five sessions.


We returned home as scheduled on 27 October. This time we made sure to arrange in advance for wheelchair transportation at the airport and I also took a Tramadol while waiting to board the plane in Houston. The pilot had to return to the gate to unload an unruly passenger, so we were about an hour late taking off. However, the Ace Express shuttle was waiting for us when we landed in Phoenix and we were home by mid afternoon. I guess the wheelchair transportation and the Tramadol must have done the trick because I was in much better shape when we arrived home than after the flight to Houston.

1 comment:

  1. We are currently the only accredited lung carcinoma screening facility. ct scan Grapevine

    ReplyDelete