Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Big Block Walk - 170615


Several times during the past few weeks I have felt the urge to do a longer walk than the 2.5-mile jaunt around my immediate neighborhood. At first, in response to that urge, I ventured up Rio Mesa Trail to Quail Run and continued as far as I felt comfortable in going. Eventually, I substituted Desert Jewel and a small section of Contention for part of Quail Run because it is a more interesting route. Finally, rather than returning from my walk the same way I had gone, I continued to the south end of Quail Run, turned east on Quail Springs Ranch Road and followed it down the mountain to Old Hwy 279 (Camino Real) which I then followed north to Arrowhead Lane and then home. This route, 4.7 miles in length, is shown on the following map. I call it The Big Block Walk.

The Big Block Walk
As noted, I had walked this route several times before today, but always going counterclockwise. Today, having determined that the climb to Quail Run would be more gradual that way, I hiked it in the clockwise direction.

Leaving home, I followed Arroya Vista and Arrowhead to Old Hwy 279 (Camino Real) turned south and continued to Quail Springs Ranch Road. This was still a gravel road in the early 2000s when I first walked this way. I think the county must have paved it primarily as a dust abatement measure and I suppose it serves that purpose adequately. However, the road bed was not prepared properly before the asphalt was applied and much patching has been required since.

Much-patched Quail Springs Ranch Road
Just a short distance along Quail Springs Ranch Road I noted one of those ubiquitous road adoption signs which are used to announce organizations and individuals who have committed to keeping particular sections of road clean. This section appears to have been adopted by a public-minded tin lizard. He seems to have been doing a pretty decent job of it; there was very little debris scattered along the right of way.

The tin lizard who adopted a highway
The next noteworthy site along the walk is Quail Canyon, a gated community of 1.6- to 3-acre parcels. It boasts of “Electric Gas Water Paved, Curbed Roads.” Altogether, it appears to be an exclusive community of those who consider themselves a cut above the unwashed masses. To me that all added up to a group of people seeking to limit access to their community. However, when I paused for a closer look I noted something very odd about the physical arrangement of the main entrance to the complex. There are two separate gates, one for entry and another for exit. The entrance was unguarded and the entry gate stood wide open. It appears that anyone can enter but it is not evident that one can leave without a gate pass as the exit gate seems to be securely fastened.

Free to enter. But what about leaving?
Emblazoned on a sign near the entrance was a likeness of the bird for which the complex is named, Gamble's Quail (right). This bird is sometimes confused with the California Quail. As a matter of fact, I was told they were California Quails when we first moved to Arizona and only recently learned the difference. The example shown here is a male, distinguished by the copper-colored top feathers.

There are a number of side roads leading off Quail Springs Ranch Road, mostly just leading to one or a few homesites and ending. Some of these appear to be private drives while others seem to be maintained by the county. So far as I can determine a white sign with brown lettering indicates a privately-maintained road while a green sign with white lettering denotes a road that is maintained by the county.

However, some markings defy this neat logic. For instance Anica Lane is marked with a green and white sign on one side but sports an older sign on the other side proclaiming it to be a private drive and prohibiting trespassing or turning around. It could just be a left over sign from before the county adopted the road. Or it might be a small group of property owners struggling for exclusivity on the cheap. On the other hand, perhaps green on white really does not indicate that the road is maintained at taxpayer expense.

A mistake or struggling for exclusivity on the taxpayer's dime?
Continuing up the gently-sloping mountain I soon reached Quail Run and turned north. This is a road that I have walked often over the past fifteen years as a part of the Big Block Walk, at first as a break from report writing while I was still working.

A short distance from Quail Springs Ranch Road I found an unexpected patch of dodder (left). This is a parasitic plant that I was familiar with from growing up in East Tennessee. I tended to associate it with that sort of relatively high-humidity climate and was surprised to find it growing in such a dry spot and hosted by such sparse vegetation.

A little farther along, while crossing the wash below Pasture Well, I noted a sign (right) that warned passersby to “Beware of Dog,” the sort of sign that is more commonly posted on private property such as a fenced yard where a dog is kept. This looked more like an attempt to prevent people from walking up the wash on National Forest land. There are a couple of private homes located up that way and I am sure they have dogs. However, it they are left free to roam on the National Forest, an area open to the public, after the owner has already admitted by posting the sign that they are dangerous, I wonder about the legal consequences if someone were attacked. On the other hand, this is Arizona and reason doesn't always apply.

A short distance farther along Quail Run I crossed Christina Draw Wash, the same wash that runs by my house about a mile down the slope from here. This wash drains a large section of the eastern slope of Mingus Mountain south of Allen Spring and north of Black Canyon. Although normally dry this wash can become a raging torrent during monsoon season, overflowing its banks and damaging road crossings as it struggles to drain the water falling on the mountain slope above.

The short, not very difficult, climb out of Christina Draw Wash going north on Quail Run is the steepest part of The Big Block Walk when traversed in the clockwise direction. When traveling in the counterclockwise direction on the other hand the climb up the mountain on Desert Jewel (or on Rio Mesa, whichever is chosen) is much more difficult because elevation is gained more quickly.

On this day, refreshed by a cooling breeze which quickly evaporated the perspiration generated by my exertion on a 100+ degree day, I moved right along, soon turning east on Rio Mesa Trail. I made another right at Contention and then turned down the mountain on Desert Jewel. I usually choose this particular route because I just find it more interesting than Rio Mesa. For example, one house displays an eclectic gathering of artifacts grouped at a mailbox.

Eclectic collection of artifacts grouped at a mailbox
The purpose for the mailbox is obvious and I think the stove likely expresses the householder's opinion of junk mail. I have no idea what the cart with the half-barrel containers mounted on it represents. Nor do I know what the Indian (?) God or Goddess might represent.


I continued down the mountain to reconnect with Rio Mesa Trail at the end of Desert Jewel. Rio Mesa then took me to Camino Real which I followed to Arrowhead Lane, on to Arroya Vista and then home. As already noted the distance was 4.7 miles; the highest elevation was 3711 feet and the total ascent was 480 feet.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ellis--love your descriptions! What's up with the "Hotel California"-type gated community? "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." I would also like to see if I can rent a tin lizard to pick up some of the trash in downstown State College, left by the students. (Actually, maybe the lizard could just dispense with the students. Hmm...) We had an northern quail pair here last month, just walking around the house as big as you please. I haven't seen any carcasses so I think they somehow managed to avoid the cats.

    Most of all, I'm glad to read of your hiking and the fact that you feel well enough to do it. It makes me smile to read of your travels.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete