Thursday, October 5, 2017

Ellis Health Update - 171005


I kept an appointment with Dr Howland (my primary physician) on 28 September. The appointment was made for me by the Baylor Clinic. The purpose was to insure that I was seen by a medical professional soon after flying home to Arizona and to coordinate care. My favorite walker is too heavy for Rosemary to load into the trunk of her car, so I took the lightweight aluminum walker that she had used when she had knee surgery. My walker has wheels while the lightweight one does not and thus must be lifted for each step. I find that “lift and move the walker forward and step to it” very, very awkward. After a few steps I wind up just lifting the walker and carrying it clear of the floor. That way it is readily available in case I need it and walking is unencumbered. That is the way I left the doctor's waiting room when called me to the examining room. I noted that the nurse was doing her best to suppress a laugh and couldn't imagine what that was about. As it turned out she thought it hilarious that I was striding down the hall to the examining room carrying a walker that never touched the floor.

After the visit to Dr Howland I did my 0.5-mile stroll with the wheeled walker (left). But that night I had trouble sleeping and was dizzy the next day. This lack of sufficient sleep at night and dizziness during the day continued for a couple of days. I even resorted to using the walker again around the house for a day. However, I did get a good nights sleep last night and feel better today, 1 October 2017. In fact I did a 0.04-mile walk at noon. I changed the route a bit because I was not sure that I was ready to resume the half-mile marathon yet. However, as about half of the new route was uphill, it would actually have been easier to just do the standard half-mile walk. By the 2nd of October, although still a bit dizzy, I felt well enough for a trip to the barbershop. The next day I again did the 0.5-mile walk.

I saw Dr Lindquist, the local Oncologist, again on 4 October. This was a visit recommended by Baylor Clinic for the purpose of coordinating treatment. Dr Lindquist prescribed another B12 injection and another infusion of Zometa, the bone-building medication (called bone cement by one doctor) I have been receiving. periodically since the start of chemotherapy.


My next scheduled appointment is with Dr Sugarbaker in Houston on 24 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment