Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Ellis Health Update - 170613

Background

I am undergoing treatment for Stage 4 Mesothelioma Lung Cancer. The problem started with chest pains on 2 January 2017 after I returned from my workout at the gym. A trip to the emergency room resulted in a CT (computed tomography) scan that revealed a mass in my right lung. A later biopsy indicated it was mesothelioma; a sample was sent to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion; Mayo concurred in that diagnosis and I was sent for a PET (positron emission tomography) scan at the Verde Valley Medical Center clinic in Sedona, the nearest facility with a PET machine. Following the PET scan I was referred to the Arizona Oncology Center Sedona facility in the same building. I saw Dr Anthony at the oncology center who discussed treatment options and recommended chemotherapy consisting of the following two drugs: Pemetrexed and Carboplatin, treatment which I am now undergoing.

Previous posts touch on this subject are shown at:
and
and

Current Status

On 6 June we went to Sedona and saw Dr Lindquist (Dr Anthony has accepted a research position at an institute in California) for a scheduled chemotherapy visit; however my platelet count was too low and she rescheduled it for next Tuesday, 13 June (my 85th birthday; she noted that and offered another date but I declined because I like the Tuesday schedule). She also changed me from a three-week schedule to a 4-week schedule and scheduled a PET Scan for 22 June. Dr Lindquist prescribed temazepam to help me sleep while taking dexamethasone (steroid) tablets for the three-day period surrounding each chemo treatment. It seems to work as I slept for almost 8 hours the 0n 12 June, the night before today's chemotherapy session. I usually have a couple of down days following chemo. Perhaps some of that has been caused by sleeplessness.

Additionally, she referred me “to Dr David Sugarbaker at Baylor College of Medicine for an opinion on surgery for mesothelioma.” I fly to Houston on 25 June and expect to return home on 1 July. At my advanced age, I am an unlikely candidate for surgery, but if there is a chance that surgery could be performed, possibly resulting in remission, I am willing to consider it. After all, the chemo treatment I am now undergoing is only intended to keep the cancer under control, possibly prolonging my life for another couple of years and I suspect that my quality of life would deteriorate significantly over that time.

Meanwhile I am still holding up quite well. I did my usual 2.5-mile walk yesterday and would have aimed for the 4.7 mile “big block” walk today had not the chemo treatment interfered. I will see how I feel tomorrow and perhaps go for a walk after Julia leaves for the airport. She has been a very welcome and most helpful visitor for the past ten days.

Both she and Diana will meet us in Houston for the evaluation with Dr Sugarbaker's team. Hopefully, Julia's husband, Rick, will also be able to come. I have not seen him for some time.
My next update will likely be sometime in early July

No comments:

Post a Comment