Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Ellis Health Update - 170719


On 3 July I Walked 2.5 miles at the recreation center and did 5 minutes at level 7 on a stationary bike. I then rescheduled Arizona Oncology appointments, canceling a scheduled chemotherapy treatment (now superseded by treatment at the Mesothelioma Treatment Center at Baylor).

The remainder of that day was spent on the telephone with the VA. I have submitted a claim with the VA and they wanted me to make an appointment to see a doctor at the VA Hospital in Prescott, AZ. The claim had been referred to Prescott from the Phoenix VA Hospital. Prescott wanted me to see their doctor on 8 August, a time when I will most likely still be in the hospital at Baylor recovering from surgery. I asked for an alternate date but was told that they were already booked up until 8 August and could not schedule more than 30 days in advance. I thought that was rather odd, as 8 August was already more than 30 days from the current date. I told them that was a catch 22 and asked them to send my record back to Phoenix. I then talked to a representative at Phoenix who agreed to put my file on hold until my current round of surgery is resolved.

As an aside, the way it was explained to me, the only reason I need to see a doctor at the VA is to do a breathing test, a test already performed during my present course of treatment. No wonder the VA is so far behind.

On the 4th, I again visited the recreation center where I walked 2.5 miles and did 10 minutes at level 7 on a stationary bike.

I met with our attorney on the 5th and then spent the next two days giving a legal deposition. That was the third and fourth day of a 4-day deposition.

On Saturday, 8 July, we traveled to Phoenix and then continued on to Houston on Sunday for surgery scheduled for the next day.

On Monday, 10 July, I underwent what is called Surgical Staging (surgical examination of the lymph nodes and intestinal area to determine whether the cancer has spread to those areas). After the operation, I was informed that there were no visible signs that the cancer had spread to these areas. This will be confirmed by biopsies taken during the procedure, results of which will be available next Monday or Tuesday. However, I was anesthetized for the procedure and a catheter was installed. The installation was very difficult due to an enlarged prostate and I am told it took three tries to insert it properly. This resulted in some damage that caused leaking (bleeding) around the catheter. As a result I was held for two days in the hospital before it was decided to remove the catheter and send me back home with a referral to my local doctor for followup.

We did make our already-scheduled flight back to Phoenix on Thursday, 13 July, but I was traveling in a wheelchair and not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds, actually I think they might have specified no more than 2 pounds for the first couple of days. Rosemary pushed me but I could tell that it was quite difficult by the way she grunted. If we return from the next surgery under the same conditions, I will insist that she wait for an attendant to push the wheelchair. In addition to being prohibited from lifting more than 10 pounds, I am currently unable to drive because of the medications I am taking.

I felt pretty drab for the next few days but finally managed a short walk in the neighborhood accompanied by Rosemary on the 17th and a one-mile walk by myself the next day.

Today, Wednesday, 19 July, I was notified that the “cervical mediastinoscopy and lymph node biopsies”, from the 10 July surgery were negative. Dr Sugarbaker still has to review my file and set a date for the major surgery, described as surgery to remove all cancerous cells that are visible to the naked eye. I am told that I will hear from the doctor no later than next Monday.

I celebrated the negative biopsy news by walking 2.7 miles at the recreation center. They have a short track; it takes 19 laps to do one mile, but you've gotta love the air-conditioning on these 100+ degree days.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ellis. Wow...what a long and convoluted gauntlet you have to navigate insofar as the bureaucracy is concerned. I have to wonder how much that saps your ergy. (Or maybe it's so ridiculous that it gets you riled up and raring to go!)

    But the main thing--the biopsies are negative!! That is such great news. (Like you needed me to tell you that: "Thanks, Mary. I wasn't quite sure how to feel about the fact that they came back negative.") Man, you are kicking this thing's butt.

    I'm sorry you had that drab spell. It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't have some of those, given all the procedures and the restrictions. Maybe you can take some comfort from the fact that in all of the flying, you haven't had to change seats with Ann Coulter.

    I think of you and Rosemary every day, and I know Diana is absolutely committed to being there for you. As she does so, I promise that I'm there for her.

    Love to you both~
    Mary

    ReplyDelete