Monday, May 22, 2017

Ellis Health Update - 170522

Background

I am undergoing treatment for Stage 4 Mesothelomia Lung Cancer. The problem started with chest pains on 2 January 2017 after I returned from my workout at the gym. A trip to the emergency room resulted in a CT (computed tomography) scan that revealed a mass in my right lung. A later biopsy indicated it was mesothelioma; a sample was sent to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion; Mayo concurred in that diagnosis and I was sent for a PET (positron emission tomography) scan at the Verde Valley Medical Center clinic in Sedona, the nearest facility with a PET machine. Following the PET scan I was referred to the Arizona Oncology Center Sedona facility in the same building. I saw Dr Anthony at the oncology center who discussed treatment options and recommended chemotherapy consisting of the following two drugs: Pemetrexed and Carboplatin, treatment I am now undergoing.

Two previous posts touch on this subject they are shown at:
and

Current Status
I underwent my fifth chemotherapy session on 17 May 2017. The doctor was happy with the associated lab results.

The laboratory results are meaningless to me. However, the most pertinent in my case (based on the doctor's emphasis) seems to be my Hemoglobin level, so I looked that up online at the Mayo Clinic website. Low hemoglobin results in anemia, a condition which is somewhat normal for me.

The specific parts of the test he seems most interested in are the HGB (Hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying component within the red blood cells) and the HCT (volume of red blood cells in a specific volume of blood).
The lower HGB level for continuing the treatment I am undergoing is 7 g/dl.

On the 21 April test, my HGB reading was 9.9 g/dl, so I increased my intake of blackstrap molasses (for iron) and Potato chips (for sodium) and the 15 May test results showed an HGB level of 10.4 g/dl.

With the chemotherapy port in place (installed at the time of the last treatment), the treatment on 17 May went smoothly.

I have been having a problem with my eyes watering recently. The doctor called it “easy lacrimation” and suggested an antihistamine such as Benadryl. He said that should also help me to sleep during the three-day period surrounding chemotherapy treatments during which I take a steroid (Dexamethasone).

I normally have a couple of down days following chemo sessions, days on which I really don't have any pain, but just feel listless. These listless days are usually the second and third after treatment. This time was no exception. The first day after treatment, I went for a 2.5-mile walk and still felt good. The second day, still feeling good in the morning, I walked 4.7 miles and that may have been a bit too much: because by early afternoon I was really dragging. My listlessness continued through another day.


This morning, 22 May, the doctor's office called to tell me to start taking two iron tablets each day. Hopefully that will help with the anemia. Later in the morning, I got out and walked about a mile before spending most of the rest of the day watching pre-recorded TV shows with daughter Diana who is visiting for the week. I think that I am now ready for some more substantial activity and Diana and I have a 2.5-mile walk scheduled for tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment